This is a lovely summery recipe that’s tasty as well as pretty healthy. Although it requires a few hours to marinate and seal in all the flavours, it is easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients that are hard to find in HK supermarkets.
If you’re lucky enough to have outdoor space and therefore a barbecue, then these would be awesome thrown on there, but if not, our Le Creuset griddle pan did the trick very nicely.
You can add other vegetables to the skewers if you wish, but just remember that the main focus here is the chicken. The marinade makes it beautifully tender and utterly delicious.
We served ours with quinoa, to which we added a handful of raisins and pine nuts, and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
500g skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets
1 yellow pepper, cut into wedges
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
For the marinade:
1 large onion, roughly chopped
5 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
100ml lime juice
zest of 1 lime, grated
4 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
4 tbsp mirin (Japanese rice vinegar)
40g flat-leaf parsley
40g fresh coriander
1 tsp seasalt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Blend all the ingredients for the marinade in a food processor or blender until everything is finely chopped and you have a wet paste. This can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
2. Cut the chicken into large cubes and place in a bowl. Add enough marinade to coat all the chicken and leave to marinate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight.
3. Preheat a griddle pan to high, or light your barbecue, if you’re fortunate enough to have one.
4. Thread alternate chicken and yellow pepper cubes onto skewers and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook for 10-12 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is almost cooked. Remove from the heat.
5. Mix the honey, cider vinegar and mustard together in a small bowl and then baste the skewers generously with it. Return the skewers to the heat for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown all over.
6. Serve with lime wedges and raisin and pine nut quinoa or rice.