the dim sum diaries best restaurants 2014

With not long left before the end of the year, it’s time to look back over all the many, many restaurants I have reviewed this year and try to find the top 10. I think – if this is even possible – that this year I have reviewed more restaurants than last year and the year before that, which makes narrowing down the top 10 an even more difficult feat.

That is why this year I have compiled a shortlist of 20 restaurants, which I will then whittle down to the final 10.

Here’s where I need your help. This year, as well as my final Top 10 restaurants of 2014, I will also include a section for “People’s Choice”. So please have a read through the list below and, in the comments section at the bottom of the post, mention which of these restaurants is your absolute favourite; which one of these do you think should 100% make the Top 10 list? I’m looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Here’s the shortlist with links to my review of each one:

Catalunya

Le Bistro Winebeast

Gaucho

Rummin’ Tings

Carbone

Mrs. Pound

Chino

Votes will be counted up to and including Tuesday 23rd December. Any votes submitted after that date will not be counted. The final list of Top 10 Restaurants that I have reviewed in 2014 will be announced at the start of 2015. It’s not going to be easy to choose!

273 Responses to “Top 10 of 2014 – Shortlist”

1. Simone

Such a tough call with so many great places but Le Bistro Winebeast is the perfect combination of delicious food and a fabulous wine list to match!

2. Chaanah

Tough choice between all of those great places, but I choose Missy Ho’s. Delicious food, great staff and a crazy, fun atmosphere – and all at a reasonable price.

3. JJ

There’s no way Mott32 and Ho Lee Fook can NOT be on the list! They just did some new and exciting things for Cantonese / other Chinese food this year.

4. Jerome

CHINO! yo serious good eatin there, the door girl is mad fly and that soup is spicy and good

5. Bosworth

While each of these new restaurants offers up some delicous food and a pleasant dining experience, Chino has brought something completely new and fresh to HK that has never been seen before. The manager Ben was extremely hospitable, and I will become a regular there just to see him!

6. Clark

My vote is for Chino. Their innovative blend of Japanese and Mexican cuisine is completely fresh and so exciting!

7. Tim

Chino and 121BC are clear cut favourites for me, and I also really liked Ho Lee Fook! Those 3 places would get my vote

8. Anna

Every dish I had at Chino was absolutely amazing, especially the family style DIY pork tacos!! the meat was so tender and flavourful! I would be very surprised if Chino was not named to the top 10 best new restaurants.

9. Michelle

Ah! This is so difficult. I really love 121BC, Chino, and Ho Lee Fook. But if you twist my arm, it would have to be Chino.

10. James

Even though it was still in the soft opening stage, Chino was one of the most memorable meals I’ve ever had. Who would’ve thought Mexican and Japanese fusion could be so incredibly tasty, they definitely get my vote!

11. David

I live in Kennedy town, and am so excited a place like Chino opened up around the corner. Will become my new neighbourhood hangout for sure, the scallop & uni tostada was one of the tastiest things I’ve ever eaten, recommend it for everyone.

12. Vic

Cocotte! definitely the best for a real affordable meal in a casual but chic atmosphere. Cannot get that passion for tacos…

13. Nathan

Aaron De La Cruz artwork in CHINO! loved that I got to try this new place while it was still in soft opening, I’ve had a craving for that spicy corn since trying…

14. Fred

close call for me, but I think Chino just barely edges out 121BC for best new spot of the year. Also can’t wait to try Carbone…

15. Connie

I loved Chino, and can’t wait to go back with a bigger group so I can try the big family style pork tacos, it looked AMAZING

16. Rebecca

I was so excited when I heard there was a new place opening up in Kennedy Town with a former Nobu chef, and after trying the food there, it is for sure one of my favourite restaurants in the city. Can’t wait for them to get their liquor license so I can try some tasty cocktails with my meal :)

17. Steven

The manager Ben at Chino delivered some of the best service in HK, not to mention their food was awesome

18. Lawrence

if they would let me, I would honestly drink that chipotle aioli on their corn and fish tacos…CHINO!

19. Caitlin

hhmmm this is a tough one…definitely between chino, ho lee fook and mott 32, just because they changed it up and did something new that HK hadn’t seen before.
    my vote would be for chino

20. Karim

Chino because it is a great place to go with several friends and try many new dishes, had a blast when I went

21. Stephen

Depends, if I am looking for a great evening with friends, then I will choose Chino
    If I am taking out someone on a date, then I would go with 121BC
    Hope that helps!

22. Daniel

I’ve been to Chino 3x this month. Safe to say I am thoroughly addicted… or attracted to one of their staff.

23. Ha Nguyễn

Excellent food, good selection of wines. The service is excellent; it reminds me of the series Cheers in the US, about a friendly bistro in Boston, ‘.. You go where people know your name …’

24. Gill

I’d like to cast my vote for Le Bistro Winebeast, what a great bunch of people. Their manager made feel so special.

25. Susan

CHINO! Why are people hating on tacos? It’s tacos that are done well and using awesome ingredients! HONG KONG has been lacking good tacos for years!